Welcome to Colorado Springs Daily Photo!


Hi, I'm Tamera, a professional wedding, portrait and boudoir photographer in Colorado Springs. But this blog isn't about my professional work; no, it's a daily love note to my beautiful city, where I've lived for most of my life. I love it here and I hope you enjoy seeing Colorado Springs through my eyes and lens!

*ALL CONTENT ON THIS SITE IS COPYRIGHT COLORADO SPRINGS DAILY PHOTO. This is not a stock photography site. Please do not copy, save, "screen grab" or otherwise appropriate or steal any images or text. Reproduction without my written permission is prohibited. Please contact me if you are interested in buying a print.*

10 February 2009

The charming graffiti


I am generally not a fan of graffiti. I think it's disrespectful and rude to spray paint on someone else's property. I especially dislike gang graffiti. To me there is no redeeming factor whatsoever. No creativity, no beauty and no respect. The motivation for it is so base, immature and thoughtless that I actually get a little angry every time I see a gang "tag".

On the other hand, some kinds of graffiti are elevated to an art form (and not just in my opinion). If you've ever seen a Keith Haring, you know what I mean. I happen to be a huge fan of his. I also like Shepard Fairey, who is momentarily famous/notorious for his Obama art that's currently under fire for copyright reasons.

I noticed this little bit of graffiti on the building next to Godec's Photo Supply some time ago, and have been meaning to photograph it. It's not a gang tag. Actually, I'm not sure what it is, but I like it. I've tried to figure out who the face belongs to (click on the image to see it larger). My best guess is Jack Nicholson.

If all graffiti was this intriguing and creative, that would be a good thing.

2 comments:

San Diego Farmgirl said...

I'm a big fan of artistic graffiti, and have the Haring tattoo to prove it. (you know I was pissed when his art started being used to sell minivans and compilation CDs!)

Lois said...

I think you are right about this being Jack Nicholson Tamera! It sure looks like him.