Welcome to Colorado Springs Daily Photo!


Hi, I'm Tamera, a professional wedding, portrait and boudoir photographer in Colorado Springs. But this blog isn't about my professional work; no, it's a daily love note to my beautiful city, where I've lived for most of my life. I love it here and I hope you enjoy seeing Colorado Springs through my eyes and lens!

*ALL CONTENT ON THIS SITE IS COPYRIGHT COLORADO SPRINGS DAILY PHOTO. This is not a stock photography site. Please do not copy, save, "screen grab" or otherwise appropriate or steal any images or text. Reproduction without my written permission is prohibited. Please contact me if you are interested in buying a print.*

06 February 2009

First Congregational Church


As a wedding photographer, I have worked in many churches around Colorado Springs. And trust me, we have a lot of churches! I much prefer the older ones because I find them architecturally more interesting and they always seem to have more beautiful light. They are also less likely to have industrial grade, blood red carpeting! We have some very beautiful old churches downtown, but First Congregational on Tejon and St. Vrain, built in 1888, is my favorite. I love the monolithic columns holding up the facade, and the glorious, two-story stained glass window. There is also a magnificent pipe organ inside the church, right on the stage behind the altar. It's quite something!

To be honest, First Congregational is not the easiest church to shoot in because there is no center aisle and the sanctuary is dark. It's my favorite church not because of the photo opportunities but because I like the strong sense of community there. Everyone is welcome: straight, gay, lesbian, married, single, liberal, conservative, middle of the road. No one judges and no shame or blame is cast around. It's all about hospitality, support and community. The lead minister, Harvard educated Benjamin Broadbent, is a fair-minded and compassionate individual. I have a lot of respect for him.

I am not a religious person, but if I were this would be my church of choice.

1 comment:

Lois said...

Sounds like a great place to attend church, not only for the beautiful sanctuary, but for the accepting atmosphere of the people!