Welcome to Colorado Springs Daily Photo!


Hi, I'm Tamera, a professional wedding, portrait and boudoir photographer in Colorado Springs. But this blog isn't about my professional work; no, it's a daily love note to my beautiful city, where I've lived for most of my life. I love it here and I hope you enjoy seeing Colorado Springs through my eyes and lens!

*ALL CONTENT ON THIS SITE IS COPYRIGHT COLORADO SPRINGS DAILY PHOTO. This is not a stock photography site. Please do not copy, save, "screen grab" or otherwise appropriate or steal any images or text. Reproduction without my written permission is prohibited. Please contact me if you are interested in buying a print.*

25 December 2013

Merry, merry Christmas!


It's Christmas! I want to wish all of you a happy day full of love and laughter and all the good things! Pat and I spent a little time last night driving around, looking at Christmas lights. We have never been motivated enough to decorate our home on the outside (although we do usually put up a Christmas tree inside), but we sure love to see what other people do to celebrate the season. Some people really go for it! There is one house in particular (and I've blogged about here many times) owned by the Knull family, on Dale Street just west of Cedar, around the corner from Pat's brother's house. We love it. We've made an annual tradition of seeking it out at Christmastime so we could be spellbound by its magic. There's no way that it couldn't put a smile on your face. I've never really known the back story on it, I just (correctly) assumed that it must have taken years of hard work to create this amazing Christmas display. You can see how very wonderful it is and why we love it so much. Many, many other people have grown to love it over the years too -- generations, even. In fact, what I've learned is that the Knulls first started this project around 1970! Sadly, Mr. Knull passed away in April, and his widow has decided that this will be the last year of the magical Christmas display. It has meant so much to the neighborhood and to anyone who was lucky enough to "discover" it. I'm very sad to see it go.  You can read more about the Knulls' Christmas display HERE.  (I took some video of it as well, and have spent the better part of the last several hours trying to either upload it or link it to this post, with no success. Blogger really sucks for video! Sorry! If I can get it to work, I'll add it later. Meanwhile, HERE is a video I posted of it a couple of years ago.)

The Knulls aren't the only ones who go all out for Christmas in Colorado Springs. Here are some more pictures I took of their home and a few others around our part of town. Enjoy, and Merry Christmas!

The Knulls' front yard. The Christmas display goes all along the side of their house and fills up their back yard as well. Can you see the car at the far right of the frame, about to drive through the alley? The line of cars stretched out several blocks in all directions. People really love this house and everyone is very sad that this is the last time they'll be able to see this magical display.

This photo shows cars crawling through the alley. The line of cars went on for blocks in all directions. Everyone patiently waited their turn. I've never seen so many people queued up to see the Knulls' display. I think the newspaper article about them really helped spread the word.

Many, many people have signed the notebook for Mrs. Knull. One of the notes reads, "My family has come for as long as I can remember. I am 22 now. Thank you for the memories."  Pat and I signed it too.

This house is on Union Boulevard just north of Constitution, a major thoroughfare. Every time I drive past it, I smile!

Caramillo Street between Weber and Wahsatch. The lights are strung back and forth over the street for the length of the block. It's especially wonderful to drive through it in the snow!

This house is on Paseo (I think), on the northwest edge of Patty Jewett near the Greek church. Ho ho ho!

5 comments:

Randy said...

I wish I had that much motivation. These are great. Merry Christmas.

Kris said...

It's nice you write you about Mr. Knull. Hopefully Mrs.Knull will have a change of heart after seeing the signatures.

As for the rest, my fave has to be the one with the M&Ms light box. It's simple and not over done :)

Here's wishing You & Pat and rest of the family a very blessed Christmas!

Tamera said...

You too Randy and Kris! I so enjoy your blogs! I hope you all have a great 2014 as well !!!

Chattahoochee Valley Daily said...

Great holiday shots.

William Kendall said...

Beautiful displays!