Welcome to Colorado Springs Daily Photo!


Hi, I'm Tamera, a professional wedding, portrait and boudoir photographer in Colorado Springs. But this blog isn't about my professional work; no, it's a daily love note to my beautiful city, where I've lived for most of my life. I love it here and I hope you enjoy seeing Colorado Springs through my eyes and lens!

*ALL CONTENT ON THIS SITE IS COPYRIGHT COLORADO SPRINGS DAILY PHOTO. This is not a stock photography site. Please do not copy, save, "screen grab" or otherwise appropriate or steal any images or text. Reproduction without my written permission is prohibited. Please contact me if you are interested in buying a print.*

12 April 2014

This is a problem.


On Monday I was downtown doing some shopping, and decided to run into the Pita Pit for a healthy lunch before heading to my studio to get some work done. This empty doorway next to the restaurant bore the telltale signs of having been used for shelter the night before. I snapped a picture, wondering who must have spent the night in such a lonely, inhospitable spot. My question was soon answered. I took the picture below as I was leaving. This shrouded homeless fellow walked by, paused for a moment to investigate, then moved on; moments later, the doorway's denizen drifted into view and sat down. I didn't get a picture of him, but I can tell you that he was young. Really, really young. I would guess he was in his early twenties. It makes me sad to see this. There are so many homeless in my city (in fact, moments before I took the first picture, an indigent man who was either intoxicated or mentally ill accosted me on the street, laughing maniacally about nothing as I scurried to my car to avoid him). Our downtown is especially problematic in this regard, because the soup kitchen and homeless shelter are nearby.

What can we do? We have strong support and outreach programs for the homeless here, and still the problem persists. If you're a downtowner you get used to the sight, but still it can be unnerving to be confronted with a panhandler. I saw this article in the Independent a couple of days ago: "Pikes Peak Urban Gardens and its partners hope to help the poor and homeless". I really like the idea of using gardening, growing food, to help the people who need it the most, and to help them to help themselves.


4 comments:

Lois said...

So sad. I noticed this same thing when I spent a week in Chicago in December with my grandson. I had seen it before, but my grandson was not prepared for it.

William Kendall said...

We have them here as well, of course, in various areas. There are shelters and programs that work with people on the street, yet the issue persists.

Randy said...

We have a few places like that here. I am jealous that you have a Pita Pit.

Pat said...

It's worldwide, that's all I can say...sad.