Welcome to Colorado Springs Daily Photo!


Hi, I'm Tamera, a professional wedding, portrait and boudoir photographer in Colorado Springs. But this blog isn't about my professional work; no, it's a daily love note to my beautiful city, where I've lived for most of my life. I love it here and I hope you enjoy seeing Colorado Springs through my eyes and lens!

*ALL CONTENT ON THIS SITE IS COPYRIGHT COLORADO SPRINGS DAILY PHOTO. This is not a stock photography site. Please do not copy, save, "screen grab" or otherwise appropriate or steal any images or text. Reproduction without my written permission is prohibited. Please contact me if you are interested in buying a print.*

27 July 2014

Mr. P


Who is this bloke, and why does he look so serious? I give you Zebulon Montgomery Pike, noted explorer and the namesake of Pikes Peak, the very large mountain that looms over our city. I cannot tell you why he looks so serious, but maybe it's because he (rather ironically) never made it to the summit of the 14,110 foot high mountain that bears his name. I don't really know very much about old Zeb, though it seems like practically everything here is named after him! (Those things that aren't are named after the Air Force Academy.) Here's something interesting: in googling him I stumbled across the fact that there is a Pikes Peak in Iowa! Who knew?!? I'm pretty sure it's not as tall as our Pikes Peak ;^)

Alas, there are no photographs of Mr. Pike, since he lived before photography was invented. By the way, Zeb died rather spectacularly, in Canada of all places -- you can find a brief account of his demise (and a nice portrait of him) HERE. And if you care to see this statue of him with your own two eyeballs, you can find it at 270 S. Tejon Street.

4 comments:

from Madrid said...

Thank you very much for the funny story on this very serious man " who is photographed in stone". Very entertaining writing about Zebulon
Montgomery Pike.

Tomás.

Pat said...

Interesting that he got the Peak named after him and he didn't even make it up...ha.

He does look serious.

William Kendall said...

I know a number of things about him from the history of the American west, but I hadn't ever seen a likeness. His expression looks very serious. The sculptor did good work.

Randy said...

Nice looking statue.