Welcome to Colorado Springs Daily Photo!


Hi, I'm Tamera, a professional wedding, portrait and boudoir photographer in Colorado Springs. But this blog isn't about my professional work; no, it's a daily love note to my beautiful city, where I've lived for most of my life. I love it here and I hope you enjoy seeing Colorado Springs through my eyes and lens!

*ALL CONTENT ON THIS SITE IS COPYRIGHT COLORADO SPRINGS DAILY PHOTO. This is not a stock photography site. Please do not copy, save, "screen grab" or otherwise appropriate or steal any images or text. Reproduction without my written permission is prohibited. Please contact me if you are interested in buying a print.*

25 May 2015

The Dog Track


Did you know that we once had a popular greyhound racing track in Colorado Springs? It was still in operation when I was in college, but by the late '90s it had closed after more than 50 years of racing. I remember that there was a fancy restaurant called the Cloud 9 Room somewhere up in the grandstands, but I've never eaten there. I've only been to the track a couple of times: once during the tail end of its long decline, to hang out with a friend who worked there; a few years later I went there to attend a charity event, by which time racing had mostly ceased. By now it just looks like a decrepit eyesore, but believe it or not, according to one of my favorite Gazette writers, Bill Vogrin, there are a few commercial tenants who rent space at the old greyhound track. Even so, I think it's time to raze this timeworn heap. It looks terrible. A very large area, it's practically begging be redeveloped somehow. The neighborhood just to the east of the track is starting to perk up a little; gentrification is slowly creeping across those cute 1950s blocks. Why not make something of the Dog Track? It's for sale -- someone please buy it!

2 comments:

Randy said...

Phoenix used to have one too. When I was young I went there with my uncle once.

William Kendall said...

There must be some good use for it. There was a horse racing track out in the countryside not far from where I grew up. I think it's still there.