Welcome to Colorado Springs Daily Photo!


Hi, I'm Tamera, a professional wedding, portrait and boudoir photographer in Colorado Springs. But this blog isn't about my professional work; no, it's a daily love note to my beautiful city, where I've lived for most of my life. I love it here and I hope you enjoy seeing Colorado Springs through my eyes and lens!

*ALL CONTENT ON THIS SITE IS COPYRIGHT COLORADO SPRINGS DAILY PHOTO. This is not a stock photography site. Please do not copy, save, "screen grab" or otherwise appropriate or steal any images or text. Reproduction without my written permission is prohibited. Please contact me if you are interested in buying a print.*

04 March 2017

A Tale of Two Buildings


You're looking at the back side of the downtown Carnegie Library, designed by Calvin Kiessling and built in 1905. It was added onto in 1967. The newer structure butts up to the old one, and is called the Penrose Library. I recently learned that it took the place of the Marksheffel Garage (see bottom photo). The 1967 building, though it has some cool Midcentury Modern vibes, bears no stylistic relationship to the original 1905 structure. The second photo of this post shows the latest improvement to the Penrose Library, about a decade old. As you can see, the curved lines mimic the original building's rotunda. I can appreciate the architect's attempt to finally marry the 1967 structure to the 1905 one. It's an improvement, I suppose, though I wish the city had the vision in 1967 not to tear down the Marksheffel Garage but instead to rehab and repurpose it.


2 comments:

William Kendall said...

Quite a contrast in design. We still have a Carnegie era library in our public system. Our main branch location was once a Carnegie, but got torn down in the 70s- which wasn't a good era for architecture. The place looks like a bunker.

Tamera said...

A bunker, exactly! Belle Epoque versus Brutalism. It's too bad that happened! At least you still have one of them. Thankfully both of our Carnegie libraries here still exist.