Welcome to Colorado Springs Daily Photo!


Hi, I'm Tamera, a professional wedding, portrait and boudoir photographer in Colorado Springs. But this blog isn't about my professional work; no, it's a daily love note to my beautiful city, where I've lived for most of my life. I love it here and I hope you enjoy seeing Colorado Springs through my eyes and lens!

*ALL CONTENT ON THIS SITE IS COPYRIGHT COLORADO SPRINGS DAILY PHOTO. This is not a stock photography site. Please do not copy, save, "screen grab" or otherwise appropriate or steal any images or text. Reproduction without my written permission is prohibited. Please contact me if you are interested in buying a print.*

15 January 2009

The old Santa Fe Depot


This is an auxiliary building to the old Santa Fe Train Depot in Colorado Springs, which was built in 1917 and decommissioned in 1972. You can see an old picture of the main depot here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atchison,_Topeka_and_Santa_Fe_Passenger_Depot_(Colorado_Springs,_Colorado) It's just about a mile west of my house. Now it's on the National Historic Register and it retains its original charm (I read that the architectural style of the building is called "Jacobean"), even though it's now cut up into office spaces. It's a pretty big place -- there's everything from doctors' offices to a cruise line call center housed in the old Depot!

In the '80s, around the back side of the main building there used to be a joint called the Pelican Club, or "the Pel" for short. It was a great place for live music. I used to go there almost every weekend, especially after the demise of the Climax Cavern. Good times!

The building in the photo above is next to the main depot. It's been converted for some use or other. I have no idea what it houses -- probably some sort of office. I just like the way it looks in the afternoon light. I'm glad it still looks like part of a working train station.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a charming building. It looks as if it could be made with those dark red tiles I see on old railway buildings here.

Walker said...

Nice post, love the picture, interesting writeup, well researched, thanks. And the personal touches in your writeup are so nice.

San Diego Farmgirl said...

I love trains and train stations! San Diego's station is deco-cool, and of course LA's Grand Central is gorgeous, featured in many movies since its renovation earlier this decade.

Love "The Pel". Sounds so much like a college hangout!

"Where we going tonight?"
"I dunno, thought we'd go down to the Pel, Jake's tending bar."
"Yeah, cool. They probably have a band later, we could get in before they start charging cover."
And so on.

Tamera said...

"And don't forget your fake ID!"

Anonymous said...

I worked at the original Pelican Club when it opened circa 1980.