Welcome to Colorado Springs Daily Photo!


Hi, I'm Tamera, a professional wedding, portrait and boudoir photographer in Colorado Springs. But this blog isn't about my professional work; no, it's a daily love note to my beautiful city, where I've lived for most of my life. I love it here and I hope you enjoy seeing Colorado Springs through my eyes and lens!

*ALL CONTENT ON THIS SITE IS COPYRIGHT COLORADO SPRINGS DAILY PHOTO. This is not a stock photography site. Please do not copy, save, "screen grab" or otherwise appropriate or steal any images or text. Reproduction without my written permission is prohibited. Please contact me if you are interested in buying a print.*

07 April 2011

A sad accident

On Friday I was driving home from my studio and came across a car accident on the corner of Hancock and Uintah streets. Sometimes I try to take pictures of accident scenes for the blog, but I never get a good shot because my compact camera really isn't very good for such off-the-hip kind of photography. But true to form, I dutifully snapped a photo of the police officer taking pictures of the scene, and surprisingly I got a decent shot. The driver of the car had already been transported to the hospital, where I heard she later died. So sad. According to news reports, she had drifted across the line into the other lane, jumped the curb and hit a very large tree. I don't think this would have been fatal if she'd been wearing a seatbelt, but unfortunately she was not belted in.

I hate hearing stories like this. Fastening your seatbelt will save your life! In college I was in a horrible accident that I assure you would have killed or crippled me, but I walked away unscathed because of my seatbelt. Meanwhile one of my friends, aged 19, was in a rollover accident and was ejected from her car and pinned under it for hours. The accident permanently paralyzed her from the waist down. I wish she had worn her seatbelt. I wish the driver of the car in this picture had too. It's really sad to see an accident like this and know that such a simple act would have prevented a tragedy. I feel for her family.

2 comments:

Lois said...

A sad reminder to always buckle up.

Clytie said...

Oh so sad. In this day and age, with seatbelt laws across the land, it's always a surprise to me when people don't wear them. What a tragic reminder.