Welcome to Colorado Springs Daily Photo!


Hi, I'm Tamera, a professional wedding, portrait and boudoir photographer in Colorado Springs. But this blog isn't about my professional work; no, it's a daily love note to my beautiful city, where I've lived for most of my life. I love it here and I hope you enjoy seeing Colorado Springs through my eyes and lens!

*ALL CONTENT ON THIS SITE IS COPYRIGHT COLORADO SPRINGS DAILY PHOTO. This is not a stock photography site. Please do not copy, save, "screen grab" or otherwise appropriate or steal any images or text. Reproduction without my written permission is prohibited. Please contact me if you are interested in buying a print.*

20 February 2013

The Drennan School


Pat and I noticed the Drennan School listed on the National Register of Historic Places for El Paso County a couple of weeks ago, and we were very intrigued.  Since neither of us had ever heard of it we decided to take a drive and check it out, even though the weather was forboding.  It got progressively colder and windier the farther we got from Colorado Springs, but we really enjoyed discovering a part of El Paso County's history that we hadn't known of before.  Apparently this little school served much of the rural area outside of Colorado Springs from 1917 to 1955 -- and I think it was kindergarten through 12th grade!  I found the original NRHP registration form online HERE, and it includes a fascinating description of the building.  Apparently it's got three classrooms upstairs, and downstairs there is a bathroom, a kitchen and some bedrooms.  Yes, the teachers lived in the basement!  There was also a "library" upstairs, which according to the description was the size of a closet.  Oh, how schools have changed!


I'm glad this building has been preserved and is still in use.  These days it's a community center.  That part of El Paso County is still sparsely populated, so it's good that there's a gathering place where everyone can get together and socialize, and a historically significant one at that.


And just for fun, here's a picture of the Drennan School in its heyday. It hasn't changed a bit!


2 comments:

Chattahoochee Valley Daily said...

Charming building. I am glad they are still using it.

Randy said...

Beautiful old school house.