Welcome to Colorado Springs Daily Photo!


Hi, I'm Tamera, a professional wedding, portrait and boudoir photographer in Colorado Springs. But this blog isn't about my professional work; no, it's a daily love note to my beautiful city, where I've lived for most of my life. I love it here and I hope you enjoy seeing Colorado Springs through my eyes and lens!

*ALL CONTENT ON THIS SITE IS COPYRIGHT COLORADO SPRINGS DAILY PHOTO. This is not a stock photography site. Please do not copy, save, "screen grab" or otherwise appropriate or steal any images or text. Reproduction without my written permission is prohibited. Please contact me if you are interested in buying a print.*

12 January 2014

The Cheyenne Building


The entrance to the Cheyenne Building on Pikes Peak and Cascade, built in 1901 to house the Chicago Rock Island and Pacific Railroad. I took this photo yesterday afternoon. The photo below was taken sometime in the early 1900s (according to my source it was taken in 1918, though I'm sure how accurate that is, because by then the building was the Cheyenne Hotel -- I'm assuming the "Rock Island Lines" sign would have been replaced). You can't see it very well from the photos, but there is a very cool Indian head on the corner of the building, right above the entrance. The Cheyenne Building changed hands many times during the 20th century; at one point it came close to being razed, but thankfully in the early '90s it was bought and rehabbed by the Wynkoop Brewing Company out of Denver (at the time owned by Colorado's now-governor, John Hickenlooper) and converted into restaurant and microbrewery called the Phantom Canyon Brewing Company.  I love the beer at Phantom Canyon! Maybe because one of my oldest friends, Alan, is the brewmaster there, and he's a genius.  And I think it's the best place in town for fish and chips, hands down.

The bottom photo is another view of the Cheyenne Building, taken from the opposite end on January 2nd (a much sunnier day than yesterday!). I'm glad it didn't get demolished. I think it's a cool downtown landmark -- classic Colorado Springs!




2 comments:

William Kendall said...

I do like the look of the building!

Randy said...

Love that Indian head.