Welcome to Colorado Springs Daily Photo!


Hi, I'm Tamera, a professional wedding, portrait and boudoir photographer in Colorado Springs. But this blog isn't about my professional work; no, it's a daily love note to my beautiful city, where I've lived for most of my life. I love it here and I hope you enjoy seeing Colorado Springs through my eyes and lens!

*ALL CONTENT ON THIS SITE IS COPYRIGHT COLORADO SPRINGS DAILY PHOTO. This is not a stock photography site. Please do not copy, save, "screen grab" or otherwise appropriate or steal any images or text. Reproduction without my written permission is prohibited. Please contact me if you are interested in buying a print.*

17 June 2015

The Pioneer County Office/Doc Garvin's Cabin


This little old cabin sits in Bancroft Park, in Old Colorado City on the west side of Colorado Springs. Believe it or not, this unassuming building was the first "capitol" of Colorado! You see, in 1862, when Colorado was still a territory, our second territorial congress convened in Old Colorado City (then called Colorado City), in Doc Garvin's cabin. Conditions in there were so uncomfortable, everyone decided to hightail it to Denver after only five days, thus Denver was christened the capital city! Its glory days were brief, but the cabin managed to survive decades of varied use (the morgue, the county courthouse, home to various families, a Chinese laundry, an opium den, a pastry shop, and years of vacancy), until Thayer Tutt, Jr purchased it in 1929 for $40. It was relocated to the Broadmoor, where it sat on the golf course and was used for storage (!!!), but eventually its historical significance earned it a spot in Bancroft Park in 1961, mere yards from its original location, after a brief spell on Capital Hill in Denver. I think it's a very interesting story. This little cabin played a big part in our state's history!

2 comments:

William Kendall said...

The Civil War connection struck me- I'd love to see Glorietta Pass someday.

Randy said...

Great place to visit.