Welcome to Colorado Springs Daily Photo!


Hi, I'm Tamera, a professional wedding, portrait and boudoir photographer in Colorado Springs. But this blog isn't about my professional work; no, it's a daily love note to my beautiful city, where I've lived for most of my life. I love it here and I hope you enjoy seeing Colorado Springs through my eyes and lens!

*ALL CONTENT ON THIS SITE IS COPYRIGHT COLORADO SPRINGS DAILY PHOTO. This is not a stock photography site. Please do not copy, save, "screen grab" or otherwise appropriate or steal any images or text. Reproduction without my written permission is prohibited. Please contact me if you are interested in buying a print.*

13 January 2010

Happy trails, Dessie and Bob


Ever since I can remember, this barn on the corner of Templeton Gap and Fillmore has been painted with a quotable quote. The barn housed a very cute donkey, which over the years became a very cute and elderly donkey, and the owners would change the message every now and then. I've lived here since 1979 and I can't remember a time when it wasn't there. I have always looked forward to driving past this home and reading the message, even if I'd seen it a thousand times before. And whenever they'd change it, what a nice discovery that would be!

A couple of months ago I saw that the message had changed again, and with a pang I noticed a hand painted sign stuck to the fence that read "R.I.P. Dessie". Very sadly, I realized that the owner of the house, barn and donkey had passed on. I never knew much about the people that lived there. I always thought it curious that they were allowed to have livestock smack in the middle of our city, but there are odd pockets here and there in Colorado Springs that are zoned for horses and livestock (after all, this is the wild, wild west). I never drove by that house without looking for the little donkey and the words on his barn. I was happy to hear that he will be spending his twilight years well loved at a petting zoo.

In all these years, although I've always meant to take a picture, I never did until the other day. The final message reads, "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make," and below that, "Happy trails Dessie and Bob." I wonder if Dessie and Bob knew how much joy they brought to the many people who drove past their property every day. They should know that we loved them, even if we never met them.

For more about Dessie and Bob, follow this link: http://www.gazette.com/articles/vogrin-130613-dessie-taylor.html

7 comments:

Clytie said...

What a moving photo and story. I wonder if the family kept a photojournal of their past messages. It would be interesting to find out.

Susan Lechuga said...

Thank you for this post. I always looked forward to seeing this too. My heart sank when I saw this and I am glad you shared this. I live by here and it is wonderful Thanks.

Hilda said...

What a beautiful, sad, loving and moving story. Thanks for sharing it with us, Tamera. Wishing happy trails indeed for Dessie and Bob.

Lois said...

Your post is a lovely tribute to them!

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

It is Beatles quote from the last song on Abbey Road (well second to last). Thanks for sharing.

Tamera said...

Slomohusky, Abbey Road is my favorite Beatles album. I love that song :o) Tamera

Anonymous said...

Hi Tamera.....I was born here and that barn has had different sayings and murals as long as I can remember....1960's. Kelly