Welcome to Colorado Springs Daily Photo!


Hi, I'm Tamera, a professional wedding, portrait and boudoir photographer in Colorado Springs. But this blog isn't about my professional work; no, it's a daily love note to my beautiful city, where I've lived for most of my life. I love it here and I hope you enjoy seeing Colorado Springs through my eyes and lens!

*ALL CONTENT ON THIS SITE IS COPYRIGHT COLORADO SPRINGS DAILY PHOTO. This is not a stock photography site. Please do not copy, save, "screen grab" or otherwise appropriate or steal any images or text. Reproduction without my written permission is prohibited. Please contact me if you are interested in buying a print.*

22 January 2014

"Fiesta-Jarabe" by Luis Jimenez


This colorful sculpture by renowned Mexican-American artist Luis Jimenez lives in front of our beloved Fine Arts Center. Mr. Jimenez was a celebrated sculptor and painter, and I happen to love this particular piece of art, but he is more well known here for the very large and very controversial "devil horse" (actually titled "Mustang") that has stood on the approach to Denver International Airport for some years. "Mustang" is not to everyone's taste, but again I really like it. It looks evil, yes, but also strong, fierce and imposing. Not all art has to be beautiful and nice to look at. It should, in fact, challenge you and make you think, which is exactly what it does, for anyone who drives by it!

Sadly, and strangely indeed, it was the "devil horse" that killed Mr. Jimenez in 2006 at the age of 65, when part of the massive, 32 foot tall sculpture fell on him in his studio. No doubt this chapter in the scuplture's history adds to the general uneasiness of those who don't appreciate it as a piece of art (or maybe it's just the glowing red eyes), but for me it only enhances the meaning.



Above: a closer view of "Fiesta-Jarabe. Below: a photo by Len Borden of Mr. Jimenez's "Mustang" in all its glory, via culturevixen.com.

[ Photo: Len Borden ]


5 comments:

Gerald (SK14) said...

what a strange sculpture - PS all my Jersey photos are from a week in October 2010.

Tamera said...

Well that would explain the green grass!

Pat said...

These are powerful pieces and I like them both. Sorry, though, that the aptly-named Devil Horse was responsible for the sculptor's death.

William Kendall said...

A fascinating first sculpture... and that horse is amazing!

Randy said...

We have a similar couple in Albuquerque at the University of New Mexico.