Welcome to Colorado Springs Daily Photo!


Hi, I'm Tamera, a professional wedding, portrait and boudoir photographer in Colorado Springs. But this blog isn't about my professional work; no, it's a daily love note to my beautiful city, where I've lived for most of my life. I love it here and I hope you enjoy seeing Colorado Springs through my eyes and lens!

*ALL CONTENT ON THIS SITE IS COPYRIGHT COLORADO SPRINGS DAILY PHOTO. This is not a stock photography site. Please do not copy, save, "screen grab" or otherwise appropriate or steal any images or text. Reproduction without my written permission is prohibited. Please contact me if you are interested in buying a print.*

16 May 2014

California vacation (part 9) -- and Skywatch Friday


I'll finish my series of vacation pictures with these images of the  Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles (and its view of the famous sign). Pat and I had not actually planned on going there at all.  In fact, the idea only came about when we discussed trying to get a good look at the HOLLYWOOD sign; a bit of investigation revealed that one of the best views in the city is from the Griffith Observatory. So we fought our way from Hollywood to Los Feliz in dense Friday afternoon traffic, and after much effort (and cursing), we finally found ourselves gazing upon the most magnificent piece of architecture I've ever seen.  If you're a regular reader of this blog, you know I'm a huge fan of Art Déco. This breathtakingly beautiful example of high Déco was constructed between 1933 and 1935, and I can say that, as well traveled as I am on three continents, I have never been left speechless by a building until now. I was in awe.

I wish we'd had more time to spend there, but dinner with friends was next on our agenda. We lingered as long as we could, exploring the building and its grounds (and yes, admiring the HOLLYWOOD sign -- the view, as promised, was excellent), but eventually we reluctantly took our leave. I will definitely go back there the next time I'm in Los Angeles, on a day when I have much more time to take in its marvels.

[And since this is Friday, let's call this a Skywatch Friday post, shall we? There is plenty of sky in these pictures! For more Skywatch Friday pictures from bloggers all over the globe, click HERE.]



That's Pat walking toward me in the middle of the photo, wearing the red shirt.

The striking Astronomer Obelisk that stands in front of the observatory.


There is an amazing view of Los Angeles from the Griffith Observatory. As you can see, there was plenty of atmospheric pollution (uh, smog) that day. Even so, I thought it was cool to see the city from up there. I imagine this view would be breathtaking at night.

Last but not least, a final look at the incredible Griffith Observatory. This panoramic image is slightly distorted because it's actually a composite of seven photographs put together in Photoshop.

6 comments:

Indrani said...

Very well taken against the beautiful blue sky.
Happy weekend to you!

Lois said...

These are wonderful pictures for Skywatch Friday!

William Kendall said...

It's a magnificent building. You capture its details beautifully.

Randy said...

I love the design of this building.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

These are awesome! Ashamed to say I only live about 45 minutes from here and never been up to the Hollywood sign!!

Tamera said...

You should go some time!