Welcome to Colorado Springs Daily Photo!


Hi, I'm Tamera, a professional wedding, portrait and boudoir photographer in Colorado Springs. But this blog isn't about my professional work; no, it's a daily love note to my beautiful city, where I've lived for most of my life. I love it here and I hope you enjoy seeing Colorado Springs through my eyes and lens!

*ALL CONTENT ON THIS SITE IS COPYRIGHT COLORADO SPRINGS DAILY PHOTO. This is not a stock photography site. Please do not copy, save, "screen grab" or otherwise appropriate or steal any images or text. Reproduction without my written permission is prohibited. Please contact me if you are interested in buying a print.*

14 November 2016

An afternoon in Victor (part 2)


A few more pictures from our afternoon exploring Sunnyside Cemetery in Victor (see Saturday's blog post for Part 1). As you know, I'm a history nerd, especially the history of the Pikes Peak region. Walking among these old graves gave me a sense of how hard life must have been for the people of Victor over a century ago, lured by the promise of quick riches.

"Axel Sjoberg, Mar. 11, 1878, Aug. 18, 1906. We loved him."
Colon W. Campbell has a lucky horseshoe to keep him company.
Of all the things I saw in Sunnyside Cemetery, this photo nailed to a tree above a grave is what put a lump in my throat. The couple in the photograph are surely long dead, but clearly not forgotten.
There were many tiny grave markers like this one, barely taller than your ankle and made of tin. I came across one that had been flattened to the ground, so I straightened it back up again. It's hard to say who's buried beneath this one. All identifying markings have been lost to time.
"James Potts, Dec. 20, 1907, Age 9 Days" and "Orlay Potts, 1906 - 1907." I can't imagine burying two babies in the same year, maybe even at the same time. It must have been unbearable.
Lest you think everyone in Victor, Colorado lived such tragically short lives back then, consider M.M. Demeree here, who died just two weeks shy of turning 70 (August 2, 1842 - July 19, 1912).
I was so taken by the nickname on the back of this gravestone, I neglected to get a photo of the front of it. Biscuit Bill! It's so very "old west" sounding. I imagine he must have been a real character! Some internet sleuthing revealed what's inscribed on the front of the headstone: "W. H. Banks, Born: 18 MAY 1872 Died: 11 JUN 1952 Comments: Image of fly fisherman on marker." I found the info on THIS awesome website, which has a description of every grave in Sunnyside Cemetery. What a boon! It also describes how some of the people died. Lots of mining accidents. Also, some were shot to death, which isn't surprising considering that Victor was truly a frontier town.
This seems to be the Elks Club section of the cemetery.
"DUM TACET CLAMAT, William Martin, 1858-1906." I looked up the Latin phrase. It means "Though silent, he speaks." I also learned that it was common on the gravestones of Woodmen of the World, a fraternal organization that exists to this day. There are a few Woodmen graves in Sunnyside Cemetery, including Women of Woodcraft. (See the last photo in Saturday's blog post for a Women of Woodcraft gravestone.)
No graves in this shot, just the view. The photo doesn't even come close to doing it justice. It's spectacular.

The Pikes Peak Genealogical Society website has a great description of Sunnyside Cemetery and its history, both old and recent. It's fascinating! You should take a minute to read it.

2 comments:

Bergson said...

like in a western

William Kendall said...

Beautiful autumn colours. Biscuit Bill... what a nickname!