Welcome to Colorado Springs Daily Photo!


Hi, I'm Tamera, a professional wedding, portrait and boudoir photographer in Colorado Springs. But this blog isn't about my professional work; no, it's a daily love note to my beautiful city, where I've lived for most of my life. I love it here and I hope you enjoy seeing Colorado Springs through my eyes and lens!

*ALL CONTENT ON THIS SITE IS COPYRIGHT COLORADO SPRINGS DAILY PHOTO. This is not a stock photography site. Please do not copy, save, "screen grab" or otherwise appropriate or steal any images or text. Reproduction without my written permission is prohibited. Please contact me if you are interested in buying a print.*

04 February 2009

Davidson Dairy Company


I've lived here a long, long time and never noticed this building on the southwest corner of Weber and Colorado until recently. I was in my car at the drive-through Dutch Brothers Coffee waiting for my drink, facing west, and I saw this very cool old brick building across the street. It had been completely rehabbed and obviously now houses some extremely cool tenants (judging by the look of it). The rehab work was awesome, not least because the architect had taken his or her cues from the aged patina of the building, and instead of juxtaposing "old" and "new", he or she had incorporated "newness" into the "oldness". I hope that makes sense. It wasn't a play of new off old, it was a carefully balanced blending, and it was very well done. I'd like to shake that architect's hand.

I did take a few photos of the whole building but I'm not satisfied with them because the lighting was unlovely. I did, however, get a nice detail of the faded sign on the east wall. You have to look closely to read it; it says "Davidson Dairy Company". I've never heard of the Davidson Dairy and I can't find any reference to it online. It must be a long time now since it was operational.

Interesting factoid about Colorado Springs: we are one of the few cities left in the entire U.S. that still has a milk delivery service,
Royal Crest Dairy. Yes, we actually still have the milk man in Colorado Springs! It's not an uncommon sight to see the familiar dark blue Royal Crest crate on front porches all over town. The milk man makes his rounds in the wee hours and drops a gallon in your box. I've never availed myself of this charming service since, A) I don't have kids, and B) I'm lactose intolerant. But I love the idea of it.

I promise to take a blogworthy picture of the old Davidson Dairy building on a day with better light! And share it here.

6 comments:

cinzia tomassini said...

un blog interessante
www.cinziatomassini.it

Lois said...

I used to have milk delivery here and loved it, especially when my kids were little! I was sad when they discontinued it. Great picture as always Tamera!

Charlotte Geary said...

We had Royal Crest delivery for a few years, but just canceled it a couple weeks ago. I miss it! It was always fun to wake up on Monday mornings and collect goodies from our front porch. They delivered a lot more than milk -- we'd get bread, eggs, bagels, coffee, cheese, and even cookie dough in our milk box!

Ian S. said...

Found your blog by searching for Davidson Dairy in Colorado Springs. Just this morning I found a glass milk bottle from that dairy nearly buried in the woods. Cool find on the sign!

Unknown said...

I don't know a lot about Davidson dairy but I know my grandfather owned and ran it. What I've been told sintons dairy took it over years ago.

Anonymous said...

My late husband's grandfather Solomon Winger, was one of three owners of the DAVIDSON DAIRY prior to 1930 when he died. I'd love to buy the bottle for family history, if interested.

I've taken photos of the wall with name too. Thanks for making the effort to save a photo of the signage. I'm writing Solomon's history for the family and
would like to include the photo with permission.

Barb Sabol
bbsabol@yahoo.com