Welcome to Colorado Springs Daily Photo!


Hi, I'm Tamera, a professional wedding, portrait and boudoir photographer in Colorado Springs. But this blog isn't about my professional work; no, it's a daily love note to my beautiful city, where I've lived for most of my life. I love it here and I hope you enjoy seeing Colorado Springs through my eyes and lens!

*ALL CONTENT ON THIS SITE IS COPYRIGHT COLORADO SPRINGS DAILY PHOTO. This is not a stock photography site. Please do not copy, save, "screen grab" or otherwise appropriate or steal any images or text. Reproduction without my written permission is prohibited. Please contact me if you are interested in buying a print.*

13 July 2009

A note from Mrs. Schulz


I was surprised to receive a package in the mail today from Jeannie Schulz, the widow of beloved Peanuts creator Charles Schulz. She had come across my July 7th blog post about her late husband, and wrote me a brief but enlightening letter. She also very kindly enclosed a copy of the Comics Journal (No. 290, May 2008), which features several very personal, in depth articles about Mr. Schulz and about the somewhat controversial biography that was published after his death. I say "controversial" because the book tended to characterize Schulz as a morose or even mildly depressive man (I have read this elsewhere as well); some of those close to him, especially his son Monte, took issue with that characterization. The May 2008 Comics Journal seeks to explore the true character of Charles Schulz, starting with an essay by Monte Schulz (I regret to say that I haven't got time to read this material extensively though I wish I could, but it's wedding season and I'm going a little nuts here -- I am trying to just skim the various articles for now).

Anyway, I'm sure that Mrs. Schulz wants to make sure that both sides of the coin are revealed. Having been married to him for many years, she must have known her husband's character quite well! When a person is famous, a certain amount of mythology evolves around them. There are many stories and anecdotes about Mr. Schulz that have been published over the years, so keeping the myths separate from the facts must be a full time job. Jeannie Schulz very graciously offered up some facts. I'll just transcribe some of her words here:

"Hi Tamera --

Jeannie Schulz, Sparky's widow here..... [Note: this is when my bottom jaw hit the floor.]

Interesting fallout from your blog -- i.e. people saying there should be a recognition of some sort.

I thought you might like this copy of Comics Journal -- it has an approximately 100 page back and forth which might change your assessment of 'morose character' -- [Note: I'm not really in a position to assess Mr. Schulz, having never known him; I was paraphrasing a couple of other sources. I now stand corrected!]

He was a WWII veteran -- I wouldn't say he 'saw combat' -- as you will see, some shots were fired. [Note: I am assuming she means I will find this information in the Comics Journal. I'll see if I can find that part.]

I've been a part of a correspondence w/Van Pelts -- never heard their children were Linus and Lucy. I think that could be corrected if you choose." [Note: this is a big part of the lore here in Colorado Springs -- interesting!]

The letter goes on to mention how generous it was of the Travnicek family to donate the wall from their house that had the Schulz illustrations on it. And she apologizes for her penmanship (which was quite legible, actually!).

I must say, I was absolutely gobsmacked to receive any kind of correspondence from the Schulz camp, least of all his widow! I want to thank Jeannie Schulz for taking the time to write and for the Comics Journal, which is proving to be an interesting read indeed! (Am just now making a dent in the piece written by Monte Schulz.) I also want to thank her for spelling my name correctly -- small detail, I know, but you wouldn't believe how many people get it wrong. Attention to something so personal is very gracious, I think.

I will add her letter and Comics Journal to my little box of treasures.

3 comments:

Jennerator said...

Wonderful that she would take the time to write! I loved Peanuts; I still have many of the books from the 1970s & my nieces and nephew find them funny and charming, too.

Lois said...

Oh my goodness Tamera, that is incredible and such an honor for you! What interesting information.

Frank said...

That is an amazing story and I can imagine your reaction when you read the letter. TOO cool. Good for you for eliciting that kind of response from his widow. Wow.