Welcome to Colorado Springs Daily Photo!


Hi, I'm Tamera, a professional wedding, portrait and boudoir photographer in Colorado Springs. But this blog isn't about my professional work; no, it's a daily love note to my beautiful city, where I've lived for most of my life. I love it here and I hope you enjoy seeing Colorado Springs through my eyes and lens!

*ALL CONTENT ON THIS SITE IS COPYRIGHT COLORADO SPRINGS DAILY PHOTO. This is not a stock photography site. Please do not copy, save, "screen grab" or otherwise appropriate or steal any images or text. Reproduction without my written permission is prohibited. Please contact me if you are interested in buying a print.*

31 May 2010

The Julie Penrose fountain


Behold the Julie Penrose fountain in America the Beautiful park. This impressive, sculptural water feature was in part designed by David Barber, who happens to be the father of one of my friends. And America the Beautiful park came into being a few years ago under the stewardship of then-mayor Marylou Makepeace, who happens to be the mother of one of my friends. I think she's the best mayor we've ever had! Unfortunately, Colorado Springs residents are now so tax-shy that a wonderful park and water feature like this is probably not going to happen in our city again for a long, long time, if ever. You may have heard how city voters recently defeated a proposed (small) tax that would have gone toward our police and fire departments, as well as open spaces and other issues. A tax that would have cost the average resident only $16 per year, rejected! As a result, Colorado Springs rather shamefully made national news because our city council had to make some tough choices, including not watering our parks and open spaces this year, turning off half our street lights (not good!), closing our public pools, and asking citizens to mow the grass in our parks! The other day I noticed our downtown medians, which are usually so lovely and green and planted with beautiful flowers, are now overgrown, brown, and not planted with flowers at all. So our beautiful downtown, the jewel of our city, is looking a little dejected this year :o( The good news is that the council did find a way to at least water a little, so our parks won't all turn totally brown. But they will not be as wonderful as they usually are.

I can't wait for this dead economy to turn around. Every little glimmer of improvement gives me hope! As for the fountain, dear readers, I plan to go back when it's flowing with water and get a picture for ya.

1 comment:

Lois said...

It is still very pretty, especially with that blue sky behind it! I agree with you about the economy. Unfortunately for us here on the Gulf coast, it looks like we have another monster to drag us down even further.