Welcome to Colorado Springs Daily Photo!


Hi, I'm Tamera, a professional wedding, portrait and boudoir photographer in Colorado Springs. But this blog isn't about my professional work; no, it's a daily love note to my beautiful city, where I've lived for most of my life. I love it here and I hope you enjoy seeing Colorado Springs through my eyes and lens!

*ALL CONTENT ON THIS SITE IS COPYRIGHT COLORADO SPRINGS DAILY PHOTO. This is not a stock photography site. Please do not copy, save, "screen grab" or otherwise appropriate or steal any images or text. Reproduction without my written permission is prohibited. Please contact me if you are interested in buying a print.*

19 July 2014

Anthony Bott, the founder of Old Colorado City


Many local residents don't realize that the part of town we call Old Colorado City was once a completely separate city that didn't become part of Colorado Springs until 1917. It was known simply as Colorado City back then -- the "old" got tacked on at some point after the town was annexed into Colorado Springs -- and it was actually the first capital of the Colorado Territory (pre-statehood), if only for five short days in 1862. Colorado City was founded in 1859, predating Colorado Springs by a dozen years, and it still retains the "frontier town" look that it started with. And here's another interesting fact: it was originally called El Dorado!

The other day I found myself running an errand deep on the west side, in the rain, and as I drove past Fairview Cemetery on 26th street I decided to stop and take a look around. It's been quite a long while since I've visited it. I love old graveyards, even on a dreary day. As I wandered among the graves in the rain, I noticed a very impressive headstone bearing the name Bott in large letters. I was intrigued, since I'm familiar with Bott Avenue (it's a block south of and runs parallel to Cimarron/Highway 24). I assumed that Bott Avenue derived its name from whoever this Anthony Bott person was. When I got home I looked him up, and what I found was that Bott was the founder of Old Colorado City! Apparently he was a very prominent and important civic leader, an entrepreneur, and a bit of a real estate mogul. I had no idea!

Colorado Springs history nerd that I am, I don't know how Mr. Bott's story has somehow escaped me all these years, but I'm glad to know about him now. I'm going to do a little more research and see if I can locate the home where he and his wife Octavia lived. If I can find it, I promise I'll blog about it.



4 comments:

William Kendall said...

Quite an impressive tombstone. I like old cemeteries too, for photo opportunities.

Randy said...

Nice composition on the first shot.

Anonymous said...

Anthony Bott was one of several men who formed the Colorado City Town Company. The town was then plated by a surveyor named Fosdick. The state was named Colorado because of lobbying by Colorado City: http://www.redmockcanyon.net/colorado.html Over the years Anthony Bott was listed in city directories as having several occupations, including farmer and "capitalist". He partnered with his brother-in-law in the business Bott and Langmeyer Building Stone. http://www.redmockcanyon.net/dakotaquarries.html He married Octavia relatively late in life and had no children. His brother-in-law and sister preceded him in death; and he acquired their holdings. In 1911 he sold part of the Langmeyer homesteads to El Paso County; and that land is now the western part of Bear Creek Regional Park. http://www.redmockcanyon.net/langmeyer.html

Tamera said...

Thank you for this interesting information, Anonymous! (I'd love it if you would tell us who you are, you are very knowledgeable!)