Welcome to Colorado Springs Daily Photo!


Hi, I'm Tamera, a professional wedding, portrait and boudoir photographer in Colorado Springs. But this blog isn't about my professional work; no, it's a daily love note to my beautiful city, where I've lived for most of my life. I love it here and I hope you enjoy seeing Colorado Springs through my eyes and lens!

*ALL CONTENT ON THIS SITE IS COPYRIGHT COLORADO SPRINGS DAILY PHOTO. This is not a stock photography site. Please do not copy, save, "screen grab" or otherwise appropriate or steal any images or text. Reproduction without my written permission is prohibited. Please contact me if you are interested in buying a print.*

16 July 2018

Exploring an old gold rush town


As I mentioned in Saturday's post, I had the chance to check out an old gold rush town while I was in the Collegiate Peaks last weekend for a wedding. At one point in Colorado's history, there were many bustling little mining-dependent burgs like this, but most of them went bust in the early part of the 20th century. St. Elmo (elevation 9,961 feet above sea level)  is one of the best preserved of them. Although it's actually inhabited, albeit sparsely, it's considered to be a ghost town. You can find it about thirteen or so miles up the road from the Mount Princeton Hot Springs. These photos were taken near twilight -- I didn't have much time to explore, since I wanted to be back in my hotel room before darkness fell. Pat and I plan to take a day trip soon so he can see St. Elmo for himself and I can get better pictures.





2 comments:

William Kendall said...

Some of the old buildings appear better kept up than others.

Tamera said...

It's all currently under restoration to varying degrees, so I found that some of the buildings were better off than others. The ones that are inhabited or in use as commercial spaces have naturally gotten more attention, in order to be functional. The whole town is on the National Register of Historic Places, which is pretty cool! I imagine it's been an ongoing project for a long time and will be for years to come.