Welcome to Colorado Springs Daily Photo!


Hi, I'm Tamera, a professional wedding, portrait and boudoir photographer in Colorado Springs. But this blog isn't about my professional work; no, it's a daily love note to my beautiful city, where I've lived for most of my life. I love it here and I hope you enjoy seeing Colorado Springs through my eyes and lens!

*ALL CONTENT ON THIS SITE IS COPYRIGHT COLORADO SPRINGS DAILY PHOTO. This is not a stock photography site. Please do not copy, save, "screen grab" or otherwise appropriate or steal any images or text. Reproduction without my written permission is prohibited. Please contact me if you are interested in buying a print.*

23 January 2020

The Cog


The Cog Railway is another Colorado Springs area institution. It's also the highest railway in the nation. From its station in Manitou it crawls all the way to the top of Pikes Peak. That's a pretty cool way to summit a fourteener! I've never taken the cog, isn't that terrible? It's been on my list forever. There's no excuse!

The cog was built in 1889 and has operated pretty much continuously since then, but it's been out of commission for the last year or two. The Broadmoor bought it fairly recently (of course, they buy everything good about this city 😒) and are doing some extensive repairs and upgrades. I've heard it's going to reopen next year. Maybe I'll finally mark taking the cog off my list then. Meanwhile, you can find one of the train cars in Woodland Park, next to the rest stop on the main drag, right across the street from the Cowhand western store in yesterday's post. Here's a photo of the logo on the side of the train car. More tomorrow.