Welcome to Colorado Springs Daily Photo!


Hi, I'm Tamera, a professional wedding, portrait and boudoir photographer in Colorado Springs. But this blog isn't about my professional work; no, it's a daily love note to my beautiful city, where I've lived for most of my life. I love it here and I hope you enjoy seeing Colorado Springs through my eyes and lens!

*ALL CONTENT ON THIS SITE IS COPYRIGHT COLORADO SPRINGS DAILY PHOTO. This is not a stock photography site. Please do not copy, save, "screen grab" or otherwise appropriate or steal any images or text. Reproduction without my written permission is prohibited. Please contact me if you are interested in buying a print.*

01 June 2020

Peacefully but Forcefully Protesting for Justice


Like practically everywhere else in the country, people in Colorado Springs have been protesting the atrocity of George Floyd's death at the hand of Minneapolis police officers. I did not attend the protest on Saturday because I didn't realize that it was going on (silly me). On Sunday morning I woke up, steeled myself and sat down to finally watch the horrific video of George Floyd's last few moments of life. I was sickened. Not just sickened, but gutted, broken, full of grief and anger for what happened to him. I decided to see if there was another protest and had Pat drive me down to City Hall. I was happy to see that a demonstration was in full swing, so I jumped out of the car and joined in, energized with fury and frustration at a system that protects killer cops.

This simply cannot continue. I'm aghast at the videos I'm seeing of cops willfully abusing or even brutalizing protesters, taunting, pepper spraying, kicking and shoving the people they're sworn to protect, driving police vehicles into crowds, detaining members of the press, and altogether demonstrating the reasons why we are so angry. The bullies in our police forces, those that abuse their power, those who are racist, those who simply do not understand that they swore to protect and serve ALL of us -- we have to find a way to weed them out and replace them with men and women of integrity. I know, of course, that not all police officers and sheriffs are horrible people. The vast majority of them are decent and upstanding. But I am sick and tired of seeing videos like what happened to George Floyd. May he rest in peace and may his family find some solace in the solidarity that those of us on the right side of history are demonstrating.


[To view this slide show on YouTube, click HERE.]

There's something happening here
But what it is ain't exactly clear
There's a man with a gun over there
A-telling me, I got to beware

I think it's time we stop
Children, what's that sound?
Everybody look what's going down

There's battle lines being drawn
And nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Young people speaking their minds
Are gettin’ so much resistance from behind

It's time we stop
Hey, what's that sound?
Everybody look what's going down

What a field day for the heat (Ooo-ooo-ooo)
A thousand people in the street (Ooo-ooo-ooo)
Singing songs and a-carryin’ signs (Ooo-ooo-ooo)
Mostly say, "Hooray for our side" (Ooo-ooo-ooo)

It's time we stopped
Hey, what's that sound?
Everybody look what's going down

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away

We better stop
Hey, what's that sound?
Everybody look what's going
We better stop
Hey, what's that sound?
Everybody look what's going
We better stop
Now, what's that sound?
Everybody look what's going
We better stop
Children, what's that sound?
Everybody look what's going down

3 comments:

JudithK said...

Oh. What a post. And I hadn't thought about those lyrics in a long time...I was around when that song came out. But here's an encouraging story from my little town right in the BAD ASS heart of central Texas, a state known mostly for being well, what can I say. Here, even the mayor and a police officer lay for 9 minutes on the ground. I was interested in what Officer Kidd had to say about doing that.
https://brownwoodnews.com/black-lives-matter-conducts-peaceful-protest/
Hope Blooger will let you open the site.
Proud of you for going. I didn't know about this one; I'm old and probably would have used that as an excuse. They ARE hugging in one shot.

Tamera said...

Oh Judith, I'm so heartened at your comment! That your mayor and your local sheriff in the middle of Texas was brave enough to join the protesters, you have no idea how encouraging it is to read this! Thanks as always for your wonderful comments! I appreciate you!

Linda said...

The situation is so distressing. And you'd think we'd get beyond this yet it continues.

Good choice of song.