Welcome to Colorado Springs Daily Photo!


Hi, I'm Tamera, a professional wedding, portrait and boudoir photographer in Colorado Springs. But this blog isn't about my professional work; no, it's a daily love note to my beautiful city, where I've lived for most of my life. I love it here and I hope you enjoy seeing Colorado Springs through my eyes and lens!

*ALL CONTENT ON THIS SITE IS COPYRIGHT COLORADO SPRINGS DAILY PHOTO. This is not a stock photography site. Please do not copy, save, "screen grab" or otherwise appropriate or steal any images or text. Reproduction without my written permission is prohibited. Please contact me if you are interested in buying a print.*

02 August 2021

The Myron Stratton Home (Part 1)


Winfield Scott Stratton was a well known Colorado Springs philanthropist who derived his great wealth from the gold rush. Early in his career, he was a carpenter earning $3 a day before striking it rich (very rich) in the Pikes Peak or Bust era of gold mining in Cripple Creek. Mr. Stratton generously deployed his newfound prosperity to help his community, donating land to the city and giving assistance to the poor. He originally created the Myron Stratton Home (named after his father) as a home and farm for the destitute. In his words, it was "a free home for poor persons who are without means of support and who are physically unable by reason of old age, youth, sickness or other infirmity to earn a livelihood." Over time it has evolved into a compound housing a consortium of non profit organizations that offer assistance to the poor and the elderly. It also provides housing for some lucky senior citizens, including my friend Sarah's grandmother, who is nearly a century old. I'll show you more of this beautiful campus tomorrow.

1 comment:

William Kendall said...

A good legacy to leave behind.