Welcome to Colorado Springs Daily Photo!


Hi, I'm Tamera, a professional wedding, portrait and boudoir photographer in Colorado Springs. But this blog isn't about my professional work; no, it's a daily love note to my beautiful city, where I've lived for most of my life. I love it here and I hope you enjoy seeing Colorado Springs through my eyes and lens!

*ALL CONTENT ON THIS SITE IS COPYRIGHT COLORADO SPRINGS DAILY PHOTO. This is not a stock photography site. Please do not copy, save, "screen grab" or otherwise appropriate or steal any images or text. Reproduction without my written permission is prohibited. Please contact me if you are interested in buying a print.*

28 November 2022

A Jan Ruhtenberg House

This is one of my favorite houses in Colorado Springs, because I have a lifelong obsession with Midcentury Modern architecture and design (as I'm sure you already know, if you're a longtime reader of this blog) and this one is a standout. It can be found at the western terminus of Fontanero Street where it ends at Monument Valley Park -- forgive me but the name of the cross street escapes me (Alamo, possibly?). This pocket neighborhood west of Wood Avenue has many older historic mansions, but also a few more normal homes that were built in the 1960s or so. And then there's this gem. I just love this house! My brother Chuck and I were admiring it last month and he mentioned that it was designed by the famous architect Jan Ruhtenberg, who was a close friend of Philip Johnson and who lived and worked here in Colorado Springs for years. Apparently a handful of other Ruhtenberg homes still survive here; I'll see if I can track them down and get some pictures for the blog.

2 comments:

William Kendall said...

I like the look of the property.

JudithK said...

I once knew an architect who worked for Phillip Johnson at one time. I was young, so it was a long time ago, and not knowledgeable enough to be impressed. This place looks quite livable for Colorado. Sometimes mid-century houses look like they would be livable only in California, where, it is to be assumed, the weather is always temperate.