Welcome to Colorado Springs Daily Photo!


Hi, I'm Tamera, a professional wedding, portrait and boudoir photographer in Colorado Springs. But this blog isn't about my professional work; no, it's a daily love note to my beautiful city, where I've lived for most of my life. I love it here and I hope you enjoy seeing Colorado Springs through my eyes and lens!

*ALL CONTENT ON THIS SITE IS COPYRIGHT COLORADO SPRINGS DAILY PHOTO. This is not a stock photography site. Please do not copy, save, "screen grab" or otherwise appropriate or steal any images or text. Reproduction without my written permission is prohibited. Please contact me if you are interested in buying a print.*

25 January 2023

O'Brien, Redux

I last blogged about this negligent property owner only about a year ago, although it was really just a picture of the rusted sign. I had previously mentioned it here on the blog in 2017. The short story is that the owner, Glenn O'Brien, allowed the property to get into an extremely derelict and unsightly state over the course of many decades and refused to do anything to clean it up, despite the fact that in 2013 the city supposedly took aggressive action against him, which he apparently ignored. I for one never once saw any positive change in the property. It continued to decay, year after year. But sometime in 2022 the property was apparently sold. Thankfully the new owner kept that cool sign but razed all the derelict buildings and put up a clutch of generic, one story industrial and office type structures. I for one am glad to see the eyesore gone, and am even perversely pleased that they didn't put up yet more of the trendy apartment buildings that are spreading all over downtown and the near west side like a fungus.

4 comments:

Stefan Jansson said...

One or two such places here as well.

Pat said...

Yes, here too. World-wide.

William Kendall said...

That rates as progress.

JudithK said...

I guess it's everywhere. Here, the tallest building in town (14 stories), a hotel built in the 20's, has been languishing for oh, 40 years. It was a fine hotel, and I went to a dance in the ballroom on the top foor in the mid 60's. Still elegant at that time...parquet floors and tall windows on all sides. Eventually bought by a guy from WAY out of town who didn't respond to things like the windows falling out when the city wrote him. Someone recently bought it. Hope they can figure out what to do with it. Demolition would cost a LOT.