Welcome to Colorado Springs Daily Photo!


Hi, I'm Tamera, a professional wedding, portrait and boudoir photographer in Colorado Springs. But this blog isn't about my professional work; no, it's a daily love note to my beautiful city, where I've lived for most of my life. I love it here and I hope you enjoy seeing Colorado Springs through my eyes and lens!

*ALL CONTENT ON THIS SITE IS COPYRIGHT COLORADO SPRINGS DAILY PHOTO. This is not a stock photography site. Please do not copy, save, "screen grab" or otherwise appropriate or steal any images or text. Reproduction without my written permission is prohibited. Please contact me if you are interested in buying a print.*

21 August 2023

Big, Big Bird

No, your eyes aren't deceiving you. Yes, that is an emu. This lady is named Billie Sue, and her emu is called Dennis. (Dennis! Gaaah! So cute!) They've become minor celebrities of sorts in Manitou. I've had a friend or two post pictures of Dennis on Facebook and I wondered who the big bird belonged to. Now I know! She told me that he's two and-a-half years old and she's had him since he was a chick. I've never met an emu before. He was extremely mellow. And very, very big, with rather prehistoric looking, three toed feet. He likes to be petted in a particular spot on his side. Oh and Dennis is very attached to his human. People, this is why I will not eat an animal. You think birds don't feel love and affection? Think again. Just look at how he hugs her back with his long neck when she hugs him. It's adorable!

Dennis is taller than Billie Sue!
Dennis prefers to be petted right next to his name.
When she hugs him, he hugs her right back. They are obviously bonded as much as a human and a dog or cat I think that's incredibly sweet.
Everyone is charmed by Dennis! Look at the facial expression of the lady holding the purple bag.
Giant dog meets giant bird. Everyone behaved admirably.

3 comments:

Stefan Jansson said...

How cool is that, great post and photos.

21 Wits said...

I just adore this post and so far I've always seen well behaved and friendly Emus and with your last photo Dennis is oh so let's be friends, and the dog well I'm not so sure deep within his dog thoughts like what the heck is this?!

William Kendall said...

You wonder what the dog and emu think of each other.