Welcome to Colorado Springs Daily Photo!


Hi, I'm Tamera, a professional wedding, portrait and boudoir photographer in Colorado Springs. But this blog isn't about my professional work; no, it's a daily love note to my beautiful city, where I've lived for most of my life. I love it here and I hope you enjoy seeing Colorado Springs through my eyes and lens!

*ALL CONTENT ON THIS SITE IS COPYRIGHT COLORADO SPRINGS DAILY PHOTO. This is not a stock photography site. Please do not copy, save, "screen grab" or otherwise appropriate or steal any images or text. Reproduction without my written permission is prohibited. Please contact me if you are interested in buying a print.*

23 November 2008

The Pauper's Cemetery


I lived in Colorado Springs many years before I noticed this tiny, neglected cemetery on the southwest corner of 21st Street and Lower Gold Camp Road, just up from Bear Creek Park. No larger than the average two-car garage, it caught my eye a couple of years ago so I had a closer look. I was very intrigued to find that it was a pauper's cemetery. I didn't know we had one here. It's obviously very old and I couldn't find any history or information on it at the time.

A few months ago Pat and I went by there so I could take a few photos of it. I seemed to have misplaced those photos (I'm sure they're somewhere on my hard drive!), so I went back on November 18th to take a few more. I was heartened to see that in the interim some kind soul had made an effort to care for these anonymous graves. They have placed artificial flowers and a solar light in front of each of the seven markers, and garlands on the fencing that surrounds the tiny cemetery. I'm not sure if the flowers are more cheerful than they are depressing, but the thought behind them is so very kind. I wonder if any of these poor people were mourned when they passed. It's nice that someone is taking care of them now.

I am fascinated by Colorado Springs history and so I've been curious to know the story behind the pauper's cemetery. And who is making the effort to upkeep the place? I found this little article about it:
http://files.usgwarchives.org/co/elpaso/cemeteries/colosprings/paupers.txt . Apparently most of the seven people buried there died of smallpox and all were residents of the Colorado Springs Poor Farm. And the lovely person who has taken it upon herself to care for this little cemetery can be found here (I believe her name is Connie): http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=mr&GRid=1406&MRid=46512228& Thank you Connie!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a nice shot of an interesting location. I really enjoy your work.

Jennerator said...

I'm enjoying these stories! Keep up the good work! Thank you, Connie, for your kind actions.

Lois said...

What a lovely story. I like this kind of stuff too.

Unknown said...

My name is Connie and I cannot take full credit for maintaining this small cemetery. My son, Bruce and my grandsons, Caden and Brian all take turns mowing, raking and adding flowers. We have been doing this for a few years and we enjoy talking to people who stop by to chat. I'm glad my son and grandsons enjoy taking care of those who passed on nearly a century ago.

Tamera said...

Connie, thanks for the comment! I think it's great that you guys take such good care of this little cemetery :o)

Anonymous said...

Thanκs for a marvelous ροsting!
I actually enjoyеd гeaԁing іt, yоu're a great author.I will always bookmark your blog and may come back someday. I want to encourage you to definitely continue your great writing, have a nice weekend!
My spouse and I absolutely love your blog and find a lot of your post's to be just whаt ӏ'm looking for. Do you offer guest writers to write content for yourself? I wouldn't mind writіng а pοst
or elаboгating on a few of thе subјectѕ
you wrіte wіth regards to here. Agаin, awesomе blog!

My partner anԁ I stumbled oveг here from a dіfferеnt wеb aԁԁresѕ and thοught I might сheck thingѕ out.
I like what I see ѕo i аm just followіng you.
Lοok forward to chесκing out youг ωeb page уеt аgаin.

Everyοne loves what уοu guys tend tо be up too.
This type of clever woгκ and еxposuгe!
Keep up the excellent works guyѕ I've incorporated you guys to my personal blogroll.
Good day I am so grateful I found your site, I really found you by error, while I was researching on Yahoo for something else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to say cheers for a fantastic post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to browse it all at the minute but I have saved it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read more, Please do keep up the fantastic job.
Here is my web blog - invisible fence battery