Welcome to Colorado Springs Daily Photo!


Hi, I'm Tamera, a professional wedding, portrait and boudoir photographer in Colorado Springs. But this blog isn't about my professional work; no, it's a daily love note to my beautiful city, where I've lived for most of my life. I love it here and I hope you enjoy seeing Colorado Springs through my eyes and lens!

*ALL CONTENT ON THIS SITE IS COPYRIGHT COLORADO SPRINGS DAILY PHOTO. This is not a stock photography site. Please do not copy, save, "screen grab" or otherwise appropriate or steal any images or text. Reproduction without my written permission is prohibited. Please contact me if you are interested in buying a print.*

12 July 2012

The Shrine of the Miracle Rose Lady


This one's an oddity for certain. I've driven past the Shrine of the Miracle Rose Lady a thousand times (in fact, I used to work in this neighborhood), and yet my curiosity was never piqued enough to investigate. Then last month Pat and I took a little trip to Kansas and Oklahoma, and in planning our trip we consulted Roadside America, a site devoted to the oddities dotting the landscape of the United States. We're especially fascinated by muffler men, so we always try to work a muffler man sighting into any road trips we might be taking. I've never bothered to look into roadside oddities around Colorado Springs though, so I idly decided to just type it in to roadsideamerica.com and see what came up. Lo and behold, the Shrine of the Miracle Rose Lady popped up! I learned a little about it from the site:  apparently it came about when a lady named Rose Arveson died in 1963, and six roses placed on her casket withered and then miraculously came back to life. Her daughters, believing her to be a saint, created a shrine that become somewhat of a pilgrimage for the faithful.

I didn't enter the premises to photograph the actual shrine -- I just parked on the road and shot a picture of this statue from outside the arched gate. The place is rather run down and sad now, but I suppose that just adds to the mystique.

For more about the Shrine of the Miracle Rose Lady, check out Bill Vogrin's post about in on his popular Side Streets blog:  http://www.gazette.com/articles/vogrin-94323-gazette-colorado.html.

January 29, 2013 update:  Sad and disturbing news about the shrine.  Read about it here:  http://www.gazette.com/articles/city-150309-neighbor-condemned.html 

2 comments:

Randy said...

Great story. Nice shot too.

Clytie said...

Wow, I never heard of this shrine when we lived there! Isn't it amazing how so many times we don't see the wonders that are right in front of us ...