Welcome to Colorado Springs Daily Photo!


Hi, I'm Tamera, a professional wedding, portrait and boudoir photographer in Colorado Springs. But this blog isn't about my professional work; no, it's a daily love note to my beautiful city, where I've lived for most of my life. I love it here and I hope you enjoy seeing Colorado Springs through my eyes and lens!

*ALL CONTENT ON THIS SITE IS COPYRIGHT COLORADO SPRINGS DAILY PHOTO. This is not a stock photography site. Please do not copy, save, "screen grab" or otherwise appropriate or steal any images or text. Reproduction without my written permission is prohibited. Please contact me if you are interested in buying a print.*

13 November 2019

Diablo


It's been a while since I've featured the general on this blog -- General Palmer that is, our city's founder. This statue of him astride his horse Diablo sits right smack in the middle of the intersection of Nevada and Platte Avenues. Some people have an issue with that, but really, how hard is it to drive around a statue? It's been there since September of 1929. You'd think that people would have figured out how to navigate around it by now.

Ironically, it was a riding accident that killed the man. I don't know if Diablo was his choice of steed that day, but I've heard that Palmer had been trying to do some kind of stunt at a full gallop and fell off his horse. He was paralyzed, and though he lived on for three more years, I'm sure his overall health was quite negatively affected by the accident. He died in 1909. Now he's immortalized in this statue, right in front of the high school that's named after him.

1 comment:

William Kendall said...

The statue stands out well against that sky.