Welcome to Colorado Springs Daily Photo!


Hi, I'm Tamera, a professional wedding, portrait and boudoir photographer in Colorado Springs. But this blog isn't about my professional work; no, it's a daily love note to my beautiful city, where I've lived for most of my life. I love it here and I hope you enjoy seeing Colorado Springs through my eyes and lens!

*ALL CONTENT ON THIS SITE IS COPYRIGHT COLORADO SPRINGS DAILY PHOTO. This is not a stock photography site. Please do not copy, save, "screen grab" or otherwise appropriate or steal any images or text. Reproduction without my written permission is prohibited. Please contact me if you are interested in buying a print.*

23 November 2012

Hello, Austin!


I was in Austin, Texas recently for a few days, to visit family. I've been there once before, but it was only for a couple of days so I didn't have a chance to explore the city at all. This time I was there long enough to really check it out. Everyone says Austin is such a cool and funky place. And they're right. I had a great time getting to know this vibrant city.

Here's a picture of a hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant in Austin called El Azteca. I love Mexican food. Just love it. And living in Colorado Springs, let's just say you can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting a similar hole-in-the-wall, family-owned Mexican restaurant, and they're always excellent. But the food at El Azteca is some of the best Mexican cuisine I've ever tasted. It was DELICIOUS. And cheap.  And they offer vegetarian options, which I appreciated.  My brother Chuck found the place on recommendation of our cousin Omar, who lives in Austin. Apparently celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain dined at El Azteca for his TV show, "No Reservations".  It turns out the place is a local institution that's been there since 1963. The decor is very kitsch (whether intentional or not) -- there are tons of hilarious tchotchkes that appear to date from the late '60s through the early '80s in there. I loved it.  Another thing we found is that quite a few celebrities have dined at El Azteca over the years. A case on the wall displays menus autographed by the likes of Anthony Bourdain (of course), Ricardo Montalban, Edward James Olmos, and numerous other luminaries and sports stars. Impressive! I highly recommend this place if you're ever in Austin and hungry. I'm already pining to go back and eat at El Azteca again!

The next several days I'll be blogging pictures that I took while on my trip. I'm currently swamped with family portrait sessions and holiday orders, so please enjoy my Texas photos while I take a brief respite from shooting for the blog in Colorado Springs.  (And since there's quite a bit of lovely blue sky in today's photo, why don't we go ahead and call it a Skywatch Friday shot to boot!)

3 comments:

Randy said...

Nothing like a good hole in the wall as long as the chips and salsa are good.

gregory urbano said...

i lived north of austin for about twenty years and sometimes miss that city!

betty-NZ said...

That sounds like a wonderful place to eat! Don't tell anybody, but I've always had a crush on Edward James Almos. Sometimes, I do miss the 'big city' possibilities, but then it passes :)