Welcome to Colorado Springs Daily Photo!


Hi, I'm Tamera, a professional wedding, portrait and boudoir photographer in Colorado Springs. But this blog isn't about my professional work; no, it's a daily love note to my beautiful city, where I've lived for most of my life. I love it here and I hope you enjoy seeing Colorado Springs through my eyes and lens!

*ALL CONTENT ON THIS SITE IS COPYRIGHT COLORADO SPRINGS DAILY PHOTO. This is not a stock photography site. Please do not copy, save, "screen grab" or otherwise appropriate or steal any images or text. Reproduction without my written permission is prohibited. Please contact me if you are interested in buying a print.*

31 March 2023

Stilled Lives

In my ongoing search for a dining table, I stopped by Platte Furniture for a few minutes this afternoon. This store deals only in used furniture and they usually have quite a good selection, although I didn't find what I wanted this time around. I did, however, find a baffling amount of taxidermy. Everything from exotic African big game to (sob!) otters, my favorite creature. Why the hell would you shoot a peaceful and defenseless otter just for fun? That is just sick! Anyway, there were at least a dozen examples of formally magnificent, now unnecessarily dead and defiled animals. My best guess is that a hunting enthusiast must have passed away, and Platte Furniture purchased these "trophies" from his or her heirs. And they are putting $2k price tags on the things. Ugh.

I have to say that I am appalled. I find the act of killing animals for pleasure to be deeply morally repugnant, and displaying the bodies of the creatures you've killed to be even more twisted. That is seriously fucked up, man. Sorry not sorry. I have never been able to understand it, and never will.






2 comments:

Pat said...

God...that's awful. Totally agree with you. Too late to save these guys, but perhaps write an article to the newspaper re: hunting for trophies?

JudithK said...

Yes, awful.