Welcome to Colorado Springs Daily Photo!


Hi, I'm Tamera, a professional wedding, portrait and boudoir photographer in Colorado Springs. But this blog isn't about my professional work; no, it's a daily love note to my beautiful city, where I've lived for most of my life. I love it here and I hope you enjoy seeing Colorado Springs through my eyes and lens!

*ALL CONTENT ON THIS SITE IS COPYRIGHT COLORADO SPRINGS DAILY PHOTO. This is not a stock photography site. Please do not copy, save, "screen grab" or otherwise appropriate or steal any images or text. Reproduction without my written permission is prohibited. Please contact me if you are interested in buying a print.*

08 February 2014

Ratón Pass and Fishers Peak


The mountain pass that straddles the Colorado/New Mexico border is called Ratón Pass, and the town just inside the New Mexico border is called Ratón. Being reasonably literate in Spanish, I've always thought that ratón meant rat, but I guess I was wrong all this time. I just double-checked, and it means mouse. My estimation of the town of Ratón has gone up accordingly ;^)

When you're driving through Ratón Pass from New Mexico into Colorado, there's a "scenic view" area to pull your car over and take a picture. You can't really get this view driving the opposite direction. I've always thought it was interesting how the topography changes noticeably almost the instant you cross the state line. The Colorado side is emphatically Colorado-looking, and the New Mexico side is equally emphatically New Mexico-looking, once you get clear of the pass. It's weird. This mesa is known as Fishers Peak, and it's on the Colorado side of the border.


I did a pano of the same view for you, below. This is about four or five photos seamed together in Photoshop. It doesn't truly capture the breathtaking view, but you get the idea (click on it to see it a little bigger). If you ever find yourself driving into Colorado from New Mexico via Ratón Pass, do pull you car over, stretch your legs and take in this beautiful vista.


4 comments:

Pat said...

Right out of a western!

JL Leal said...

Nice Landscape and excellent photo, i like the B/N

William Kendall said...

Gorgeous, Tamera. It speaks to my soul!

Randy said...

It's so beautiful.