Welcome to Colorado Springs Daily Photo!


Hi, I'm Tamera, a professional wedding, portrait and boudoir photographer in Colorado Springs. But this blog isn't about my professional work; no, it's a daily love note to my beautiful city, where I've lived for most of my life. I love it here and I hope you enjoy seeing Colorado Springs through my eyes and lens!

*ALL CONTENT ON THIS SITE IS COPYRIGHT COLORADO SPRINGS DAILY PHOTO. This is not a stock photography site. Please do not copy, save, "screen grab" or otherwise appropriate or steal any images or text. Reproduction without my written permission is prohibited. Please contact me if you are interested in buying a print.*

28 March 2013

A very stylish girl


I was in Denver with Pat yesterday on business, and on the way out of town we stopped, as we usually do, at the Starbucks on Colorado Boulevard and Kentucky, and there I spied this fashionable young thing taking in the sun.  I had to ask her for a photo! She agreed, telling me that her name was Renée, and kept her eyes on her tablet as I snapped off a couple of frames.  Wow!  She reminded me of THIS song by Dmitri From Paris. [Click on the link and enjoy -- it's cheeky ;^)  You'll like it, I promise.]

Lately I've been a bit, well, disturbed about the people I'm seeing around me every day.  I know that we live in a casual world, but for the past couple of weeks I've been trying unsuccessfully to get a good shot of "pedestrians crossing" for the upcoming CDP Theme Day (April 1st) -- unsuccessful because everyone looks like crap, and it's a bummer.  Pretty much 90% of the people I see go way beyond "casual"; they are, to put it bluntly, slobs.  I don't even want to take their picture, lest my readers think that no one in Colorado Springs has any style to speak of.  Actually, what I've been seeing around me is worse than not having any style.  It's not having any self respect when you look that sloppy and don't even realize it.  This makes me sad.  I was at the post office the other day, waiting in line with about ten or twelve other people, and NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THEM looked like they had even bothered to comb their hair that day.  I'm not exaggerating.  Every single person in that post office looked downright wretched, with baggy and stained clothes, unkempt hair, scuffed shoes (or worse yet, slippers -- talk about lazy!), ratty hems on their jeans, and correspondingly glum expressions on their faces.  Whatever happened to style?  Heck, whatever happened to just combing your hair?!?  I'm talking about the very bare minimum of grooming here.  Nothing fancy, just combing your hair and wearing actual shoes instead of slippers when you go out in public.

That's why it was such a nice breath of fresh air to come across Miss Renée yesterday.  From the smart patent leather heels, to the Fendi chain baguette, to the chunky jewelry (nice watch/charm bracelet combo!) and belt, down to the slim little headband, here is a person who cares about her appearance.  She looked smashing!  I'm not saying you have to go down to Saks and drop $1000 on a purse, but it doesn't cost a dime to look in the mirror before you leave your house to make sure your hair is combed, your clothes aren't stained, and you look reasonably decent.

And oh, leave the slippers at home.  Please.

8 comments:

Hilda said...

I completely feel for you. The kids—alright, students—in Ateneo usually look like they're just at home, and many of us hate it. Many of them can take some lessons in grooming from Renée. Very stylish young lady.

Chattahoochee Valley Daily said...

I can relate to your angst. But you forgot to mention "flannel pants". We see a lot of those here...

Tamera said...

Barbara, you're so right! Pajamas! And Hilda, it's not just young people who are dressing like slobs around here. It's everyone. So depressing :^(

Randy said...

Nice looking shoes.

Pierre BOYER said...

Nice Renée, nice "fashion victim"...
Best regards from France,

Pierre

Stefan Jansson said...

You should move to Haninge, we are all very stylish here, not counting me of course. There's different type of stylish. This girl sure has it.

Tamera said...

Stefan I have been to Europe a couple of times, most recently only a year ago. I was mostly in Geneva and Rome, and I certainly noticed how stylish and well-groomed everyone was, especially the Swiss! They make most Americans look pretty bad by comparison, I'm afraid. Ha ha. (And yes, I went shopping and brought some beautiful clothes home with me!)

krisz fu said...

I had to find out what you wrote when you mentioned this post on the theme day..

Before moving to europe, I'm afraid I'm one of those slobs. I'Ve wore my pajamas out to the shop once or twice..in my defence my home country is in the tropical, casual wins.

Since moving to new country, I am more aware and make an effort to look good and guess what, I feel good!

ps. I normally don't write such long comments..oops